Hydrastar Control Adapter HBA-CAM2
Controller adaptor module for factory installed
2005 and up Ford, GM, Dodge, some aftermarket
brake controllers and Tekonsha Prodigy Controllers.
This Carlisle control adapter module will make your Gen 5/Gen 6 or later HydraStar electric-over-hydraulic brake actuator compatible with certain models of electric brake controllers.
• Makes Gen 5 and 6 and newer HydraStar electric-hydraulic brake actuators compatible with the following OEM brake controllers ◦Ford factory controller (2007 - 2008) ◦GM/Chevrolet/Factory (2007 - 2013)
• Mounts anywhere and splices into HydraStar's wiring
• Resists weather and shock - sealed in anodized aluminum case
• Made in the USA
• Check with manufacturer for specific applications
• Do not use the HBA-CAM with HydraStar models older than Gen 5
• Gen 5 and newer HydraStars have a bleeder fitting on top and 4 wire leads
** GEN5 HydraStar actuators were manufactured between 2003-2006. You may identify a GEN5 unit by the serial number located on the HydraStar label. Later models can be identified by serial number.
Model Serial Number
HBA-10 300100 to 313799
HBA-12 700100 to 705699
HBA-16 500100 to 506099
Gen 6 or Later
Model Serial Number
HBA-10 313800 or higher
HBA-12 705700 or higher
HBA-16 506100 or higher
The factory installed truck brake controllers as well as some aftermarket brake controllers are not compatible with the CTS HydraStar trailer brake actuator. Using these controllers with the HydraStar may result in false error signals from the controllers and "clicking" from the HydraStar. Both of these problems are the result of the electrical verification pulses sent out by the controller. When the pulses hit the HydraStar instead of the electric brakes on a trailer, it issues an error code. The pulse also momentarily turned on the HydraStar's motor, creating the "clicking" noise. This start/stop off the motor could damage the HydraStar.
The HBA-CAM splices into the HydraStar's wiring on the trailer and can be mounted anywhere it is convenient. The module intercepts the verification signals and electronically answers them showing everything to be normal. The error codes are eliminated* and the HydraStar motor "clicking" stops. The braking performance of either controller is not changed by the HBA-CAM. The HBA-CAM is not recommended for use with other manufacturer's brake actuators that exhibit similar symptoms. The HBA-CAM should only be used with GEN5** or later Carlisle and CTS HydraStar actuators.
* Under laboratory testing it is possible to make some truck factory controllers produce error codes even with the HBA-CAM installed. With the gain set at 2-6 or less, and rapidly cycling the manual braking switch for a minute or more, error codes could be seen. It is important to note that it is inconceivable that this condition would occur in normal vehicle and brake operation.
• Simply splice in the HBA-CAM four wires and mount the module in a convenient place
• The unit comes with complete instructions
• Sealed in an anodized aluminum case, the HBA-CAM is weather and shock resistant
• CTS One Year Warranty
CTS cannot be held responsible or liable for manufacturer's claims regarding brake compatibility with HydraStar.
The HBA-CAM is intended only for use with the GEN5** or later Carlisle HydraStar products. Wiring the HBA-CAM or higher to an older version HydraStar will damage the HBA-CAM.
The HydraStar has 4 wires and a bleeder fitting on top. If your HydraStar does not have these features, do not attach the HBA-CAM.